After any kind of long-term stress, we all suffer from a type of PTSD called brain fog. Everyone can experience this for example after pulling an all-nighter, or severe jet lag, recovering from an illness, or indeed after any stress especially after one-and-one-half years of dealing with COVID, economic upheaval, racial, cultural, and not to mention political upheaval. Everybody seems to be walking around in a fog.
In Classical Chinese Medicine, there is a category of therapeutic techniques referred to as “Natures Therapy”. Many people and medical traditions in the past felt that there was something inherently therapeutic about being around trees and grass and getting away from the things of man. Modern research is confirming that indeed being out and about in nature has a remarkable capacity to refresh our minds and raise the spirit of vitality to use the Chinese expression.
Modern scientific research supports an association between common types of nature experience and increased psychological well-being.
In this issue of the Barefoot Doctor’s Journal, we present a series of TED talks and research on the Benefits of Nature’s Therapy in refreshing your brain after this long and stressful couple of years. As our economy reboots we all need to reboot our brains and reinvigorate our lives with new purpose and inspiration and there is no better way to do it than to go outside and play.
Read more for a wonderful series of videos to inspire
Reconnect with nature!
Through the help of children, Tina Brouwer acknowledges the harm of nature deficit disorder and the true purpose of the bonds between people and nature. She encourages listeners to consider the power of nature as the simplest, most cost-effective way to invest in healthy child development.
Restore Your Brain
For the past 10 years, Professor David Strayer has been researching brain-based measures of cognitive …Nov 15, 2017 · Uploaded by David Strayer
Prescribing Nature for Health
Dr. Nooshin Razani talks about the healing power of nature as well as … This talk was given at a TEDx event …Jun 14, 2016 · Uploaded by TEDx Talks
Prescribing Nature for Health | Nooshin Razani … – YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com › watch17:48
Get Back to nature for Good Mental health
At a time when the World Health Organisation (WHO) is predicting depression will be the second biggest illness …Nov 23, 2016 · Uploaded by TEDx Talks
Brain Fog After COVID
Especially affected by brain fog are those who actually suffered from COVID. Here is a list of additional way’s to clear your head After having had COVID from the Harvard Health Blog by By: Andrew E. Budson, MD, Contributor.
What might help clear the brain fog?
To help clear the brain fog, I recommend pursuing all of the activities that we know help everyone’s thinking and memory.
- Perform aerobic exercise. You may need to start slow, perhaps just two to three minutes a few times a day. While there is no established “dose” of exercise to improve brain health, it’s generally recommended you work toward 30 minutes a day, five days a week.
- Eat Mediterranean-style meals. A healthy diet including olive oil, fruits and vegetables, nuts and beans, and whole grains has been proven to improve thinking, memory. and brain health.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs. Give your brain the best chance to heal by avoiding substances which can adversely affect it.
- Sleep well. Sleep is a time when the brain and body can clear out toxins and work toward healing. Make sure you give your body the sleep it needs.
- Participate in social activities. We are social animals. Not only do social activities benefit our moods, but they help our thinking and memory as well.
- Pursue other beneficial activities, including engaging in novel, cognitively stimulating activities; listening to music; practicing mindfulness; and keeping a positive mental attitude.