Misinformation about health is widespread. It’s hard to know whether something you saw online—or heard from a friend—is trustworthy. Learning about the science of health can help. The more you understand, the better prepared you will be to distinguish health facts from myths.
Our Know the Science toolkit has a variety of materials to help you learn about scientific topics related to health research. Check out its quizzes, videos, and interactive educational modules to find out about drug-supplement interactions, complementary health vocabulary, the placebo effect, the different types of risk, and other health science topics.
Why is it important to know the science of health? Simply put, because there is a lot of misinformation out there—from anecdotes disguised as evidence to excessive claims made by supplement manufacturers to TV doctors touting the latest “miracle cure.”
On this page you’ll find tools to help you better understand complex scientific topics that relate to health research so that you can be discerning about what you hear and read and make well-informed decisions about your health. Know the Science features a variety of materials including interactive modules, quizzes, and videos to provide engaging, straightforward content. Learn more about how the Know the Science initiative got started.
So, what are you waiting for? Dive in, and get to know the science.
Know the Science is now available in Spanish!
Understanding the basics of scientific studies to help you make better health decisions.
Find out how to tell if a news story is reliable or has missing, misleading, or conflicting information.
Find out if the drugs and supplements you take may interact in a harmful way.
Do you know the difference between holisticand homeopathic? Take this 6-question quiz to find out.
Know, Discover, Get Informed: Videos
- Natural Doesn’t Necessarily Mean Safer, or Better
- Finding and Evaluating Online Resources on Complementary Health Approaches
- How To Find Information About Complementary Health Approaches (PubMed)
- Understanding Medical Words (NLM)
- Frequently Asked Questions About Clinical Research (NHGRI)
- Beware of Health Scams (NIA)
- Why Do Researchers Do Different Kinds of Clinical Studies? (NIH) (317KB PDF)
- Understanding Clinical Studies (NIH)
- Making Sense of Your Health Risks (NIH) (221KB PDF)
- Antibiotic Resistance (CDC)
- Dietary Supplement Ads (FTC)